Youth Arts and Recreation Grant Fund
Mission and Operating Guidelines
It is the mission of the Lexington Area United Way Youth Arts and Recreation Grant Fund to financially support eligible individuals wishing to participate in arts or recreational activities throughout the Lexington Area United Way service territory.
The committee’s function is to administer the Lexington Area United Way’s Youth Arts and Recreation Grant Fund through operating guidelines and to market the availability of this fund to eligible youth in the area.
The committee shall be comprised of the Executive Director of the Lexington Area United Way and three to five other members selected annually.
• Youth activities that offer positive role models, build self-esteem, and foster skill development will be eligible for funding. Examples include, but are not limited to, sports, arts, education, and youth-serving organizations. Exclusions apply for those that currently have their own scholarship/grant/financial assistance/waiver of fees programs.
• Funding shall generally be for registration fees to attend programs or activities.
• Equipment, uniforms, materials, and supplies will generally not be approved for funding. Examples of items not typically funded include, but are not limited to, balls, gloves, shoes, tents, musical instruments, books, and clothing.
• Youth must be between the ages of 4 and 18 and must reside within the territory served by the Lexington Area United Way.
• Applications are to be delivered, whether by postal mail, fax, or electronically, to the office of the Executive Director of the Lexington Area United Way.
• Committee meetings to review requests will be scheduled as needed and may be held in person, over the telephone, or via electronic means.
• This fund shall operate on a calendar year basis to coincide with the United Way’s funding year.
• The Lexington Area United Way will establish the annual amount available to fund grant requests. Eligible requests will be awarded on a first come-first served basis.
• No more than one application per child in an amount of to $50 shall be considered each calendar year.
• Grants awarded will be paid directly to the program for which the youth is requesting funding. No funds will be paid directly to any individual.